Register or Make Enquiry
You can register on this course, or any of our other courses, by clicking on the button below and filling out our short registration form.
Download our training brochure with information on all of the courses provided by the Materials Processing Institute.
- The casting course provides an understanding of all aspects of the continuous casting process, particularly the requirements to cast defect-free products. Classroom lectures & discussion groups will be intermixed with laboratory experiments and a visit to a steel works.
Who Should Attend?
- The course is aimed at people working in the steel industry, including suppliers of consumables and services. Typical delegates include senior production operators, engineers, manufacturing and operations managers, metallurgists, technical & quality control personnel.
- An in-depth knowledge of the continuous casting process, including machine design, operations and product.
- Technical knowledge for those responsible for the production of continuously cast product (slab, bloom & billet).
- Casting machine design & engineering (slab, bloom, billet & thin slab)
- Casting mould powder & strand solidification
- Cast product defects (surface & internal)
- Steel Cleanness
- Process modelling
- Prime slab & yield optimisation
- Scarfing & slitting
- Concast refractories
- Product requirements
- Physical modelling laboratory; tundish & casting tube design
- Mould powder laboratory; design and testing of casting mould powders
- Metallographic laboratory; inclusion assessment, SEM analysis and examination of typical casting defects
- Mathematical modelling of mould powder & oscillation practice, slab machine secondary cooling waters & strand solidification
Materials Processing Instititute
- The course is 3-5 days depending on course requirements
Bespoke Training Courses
Bespoke industry training courses are also available and are tailored to meet the specific learning needs of clients. These bespoke training courses are run to schedules to suit client requirements and can carried out in-house, at venues local to clients, or at the Materials Processing Institute. Bespoke training is available worldwide.