Register or Make Enquiry
You can register on this course, or any of our other courses, by clicking on the button below and filling out our short registration form.
Download our training brochure with information on all of the courses provided by the Materials Processing Institute.
- The metallurgy course provides an excellent understanding of the science and technology of metals, primarily for carbon and alloy steels. Alongside the classroom lectures will be extensive practical sessions, held in a well-equipped metallographic laboratory.
Who Should Attend?
- The course is aimed at people working in, or associated with the steel industry; for example, equipment and material suppliers. Typical delegates include senior production operators, engineers, technical & quality control personnel.
- Theoretical and practical understanding of the metallurgy of carbon & alloy steels
- Understanding of the processes, product and properties of steels that are used to make strip, sections and plate
Basics of Ferrous Metallurgy
- Equilibrium phase diagram (Fe-C)
- Phase transformations, liquidus, solidus and solidification of steel
- Precipitation / non-metallic inclusions
- Effect of alloying elements on steel properties
Chemical Analysis and Material Testing
- Chemical analysis (theory and practical demonstration)
- Tensile testing
- Impact testing
- Creep testing
- Corrosion basics
Steel Composition and Processes for the Production of Strip, Sections and Plate.
This will include:
- Automotive (HSLA, AHSS, DP) & packaging
- Rail & special profiles
- Tube & pipe
Materials Processing Instititute
- The course is 3-5 days depending on course requirements
Bespoke Training Courses
Bespoke industry training courses are also available and are tailored to meet the specific learning needs of clients. These bespoke training courses are run to schedules to suit client requirements and can carried out in-house, at venues local to clients, or at the Materials Processing Institute. Bespoke training is available worldwide.