Steelmaking and Casting Course
Register or Make Enquiry
You can register on this course, or any of our other courses, by clicking on the button below and filling out our short registration form.
Download our training brochure with information on all of the courses provided by the Materials Processing Institute.
- The steelmaking and casting course provides a comprehensive overview of primary steelmaking, secondary steelmaking and continuous casting. The course uses classroom and practical based learning, including laboratory work and a visit to a steel plant to observe steelmaking and casting operations for slab production.
Who Should Attend?
- The course is aimed at people working in the steel industry, steel production and casting, as well as the steel industry supply chain, who will benefit from a broad understanding of the steelmaking and casting processes. Typical delegates include production operators and engineers, manufacturing and operations managers, metallurgists, technical quality personnel and health & safety specialists.
- This course will provide you with an in-depth knowledge of the primary and secondary steelmaking and casting processes.
- After the course you will have an understanding of the fundamental science in the steelmaking and continuous casting processes.
- Basic oxygen furnace process, theory & practice, engineering aspects
- Electric Arc Furnace, operation and refining
- Stainless steel, via arc furnace and argon oxygen decarburisation
- Ladle stirring
- Degassing processes for gas removal and low carbon steels
- Ladle metallurgy, slag chemistry for sulphur removal and inclusion engineering
- Practical aspects of secondary steelmaking
- Mould design and operation – heat transfer, mould powders, oscillation
- Machine engineering – strand support, roll layout and construction
- Secondary cooling – theory and practice
- Casting metallurgy and product defects
- Casting process modelling – tundish and submerged entry nozzle
- Current product requirements – customer expectations
- Introduction to liquid iron production – blast furnace
- Downstream operations – rolling processes
- Environmental issues facing the steel industry
- Emerging steelmaking technologies – update on world R&D
- Basic steelmaking calculations – thermal and mass balancing
Materials Processing Instititute
- The course is 5 days
Bespoke Training Courses
Bespoke industry training courses are also available and are tailored to meet the specific learning needs of clients. These bespoke training courses are run to schedules to suit client requirements and can carried out in-house, at venues local to clients, or at the Materials Processing Institute. Bespoke training is available worldwide.
I work as a Cast Controller and this course has been very beneficial to my position. It has given me a much greater understanding of the full steel process from the beginnings at the blast furnace stage to the finished product.
One thing which has really helped me is the intense discussions I’ve been able to take part in with people from the industry, its good to relate to their issues and work together to look at suitable solutions.
The folder and collection of information I’ve received over the week is something I’m going to be taking to work with me and putting in my locker, it’s a brilliant resource for me to refer back to.
David Thomas, Cast Controller, Tata Steel, Port Talbot
This course has given me an insight to make better judgement choices and understand why something has happened and what it will impact on.
Ian Williams, Cast Controller, Tata Steel, Port Talbot
After working in the industry I’ve never really looked at any particular part in detail. This course has given me the knowledge and theory behind everything, giving me sound explanations and new ideas about processes to implement when I return to work.
It has been so useful to draw on other on other people’s expertise too.
Asmanh Mohammed Khan, Shift Quality Control, Tata Steel, Rotherham
Having previously worked in research I wanted a refresher on the things that I used to know. I also wanted the confidence to know the processes behind the different technical aspects of steelmaking. After this week-long course, I am now confident in my knowledge.
Sarah Hinton, Development Metalogist, OutoKumpu, Sheffield