Bursaries are available to PhD students to support enrichment activities. The bursaries provided by the Academy are bursary schemes co-funded by the Materials Processing Institute and the Worshipful Company of Armourers and Brasiers. Bursary holders are eligible to join the alumni network of the Armourers and Brasiers.
Bursaries are available for activities that will provide greater context and industrial relevance to the research undertaken. This could include:
- Attendance at conferences, in the UK, or overseas
- Industrial visits, or placements in the UK, or overseas
- Accessing specialist industrial research, or manufacturing facilities
- Holding dissemination events to increase the awareness of the research with industry
- Undertaking additional research that expands the scope of the PhD to enhance industrial relevance
Applications for a bursary are welcome at any time of the year and at any stage in the PhD, including up to twelve months after submission for students already registered with the Academy prior to submission.
The maximum bursary available is £5,000, though students may benefit from multiple bursaries throughout the course of their doctoral studies.
Applications for a bursary may be made by completing the Bursary Application.