The scope of materials and process analysis carried out in the laboratories is broad and includes chemical, physical, mathematical, electronic and engineering capabilities.
Scientists, researchers and engineers at the Institute work with clients to understand their specific needs to help ensure that the most appropriate research methods and techniques are adopted with the objective of providing well informed findings and results.
The Institute adopts a scientific approach to its research with the objective of delivering reliable and accurate results which are fit for purpose; this is achieved by:
- Carrying out analysis as agreed with clients
- Ensuring analysis is carried out using methods and equipment, which have been tested to ensure they are fit for purpose
- Using qualified staff for specific analysis required
- Regular assessment of the technical performance of all laboratories
- Ensuring that analytical measurements made in one location are consistent with those made elsewhere
- Adopting well defined quality control and quality assurance procedures
The range of laboratories enables work to be carried out in the following areas:
- Chemical Analysis
- Experimental Modelling
- Mould Powder
- Coal and Biomass
- Refractories Testing
Access to scale up facilities and pilot demonstration facilities means that bench-top laboratory research can be combined with larger scale research to provide more detailed analysis and to help validate findings of laboratory research.