The Institute has a suite of sample preparation equipment that is used to ensure consistent quality of samples for ongoing microstructural examination via light optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy (SEM).
- Etcher and polisher
- Wet abrasive cut-off
- Vibratory Polisher
- Mould Assembly
- Mounting press
Applications and Capability
This equipment enables samples of varying size and material type, ferrous and non-ferrous, and organic to be prepared precisely with no loss of characteristics or imperfections.
This equipment is used to prepare samples for:
- Light optical microscopy
- Scanning electron microscopy
The precision cut off machine automatic cross feed with serial cutting function produces precise parallel cuts of 1 μm (0.001 mm) in equal or varied sizes.
- Lectropol-5 electrolytic etcher and polisher
- BRILLANT 350 is an automatic wet abrasive cut-off machine
- BRILLANT 220 is a compact, precision wet abrasive cut-off machine
- VibroMet 2 Automatic Vibratory Polisher
- AutoMet 300 Pro Grinder Polisher Programmable semi-automatic preparation system
- SimpliMet 4000 with 30mm Mould Assembly, Mounting press