Smaller scale melting facilities range from laboratory scale melts at a scale of a few hundred grammes to pilot scale induction melts of up to 250kg.
- ‘Air melt’ induction furnaces with a 250kg capacity
- Vacuum induction furnace with a 100kg capacity operating at vacuum levels down to less than 10-5 bar.
(The capacities given are based on steel density – other metals can also be melted).
Applications and Capability
- Trials for product development and characterisation
- Intermediate scale between laboratory and tonnage scale melting
- Ability to produce steels to a wide range of chemical compositions
- Vacuum melt capability where very specific levels of cleanness are required.
- Versatility and flexibility in operating regimes.
Versatile capability for both standard and very high purity melt requirements.
These facilities are supported by the full range of analytical and metallographic characterisation services and equipment available at the Institute.