The Continuous Casting Machine in the Normanton Plant is used for process and product development for a wide variety of steels on a scale of up to 6 tonnes.
Equipment - Continuous Casting Machine
- Vertical with bending machine with 6m radius
- Mould sizes of 140mm and 180mm square 140mm x 300mm rectangular
- 5 spray cooling zones
- Multi-point straightening.
Applications and Capability
- Trials for process and product development
- Investigation of non-standard operating conditions and novel (e.g. ‘non castable’) compositions
- Production of test material for further processing by commercial rolling and product evaluation
- Prototyping for customer acceptance.
- Versatility and flexibility in operating regimes
- Comprises a unique combination of features found on both slab and long product casters.
The continuous caster is used in combination with the Institute’s electric arc furnace, and ladle furnace / vacuum degassing steelmaking facilities, allowing processing of almost every type of cast product composition.
These facilities are supported by the full range of analytical and metallographic characterisation options available at the Institute.